Riding Route 66 in the USA is considered a fantastic ride through time. This highway has inspired writers, movie makers and musicians for many years. It has nurtured many communities and serviced multiple travellers for decades. Families who had to leave their homes during the period of the Great Depression as well as the Dust Bowl, with minimal resources and low hopes travelled west on Route 66 in hope for a better life.
Riding your motorcycle on this iconic highway is definitely the ride of a lifetime. In 1985, Route 66 became decommissioned as a National Highway, and many sections of this road are bypassed. While it might not be technically difficult from a riding viewpoint, knowing where the road leads can be really hard; this creates the need for guided motorcycle tours USA route 66.
2448 Scenic Miles
A guided motorcycle tour along the renowned Mother Road highway begins in Chicago, IL and ends in Los Angeles, CA after 2448 scenic miles. Along the way, you will pass through a total of 8 states making several stops in very beautiful and historic sites. You will be able to get a feeling of the 1950’s Midwest life as you ride your motorcycle into the Ozark Mountains, along Oklahoma’s Old West Indian Country, across the stunning Great Plains, through the ancient city of Santa Fe, NM, and into Mecca, Laughlin.
The Old Road
The oldest sections of Route 66, which date back to 1920’s, are very fascinating as they are usually made of manually-laid bricks or asphalt, and are really narrow. While riding here you get a sense of how small American vehicles were prior to the Second World War, and how there was very little traffic on the roads.
Must See Places on Route 66
As you ride through Route 66 you are bound to come across many museums, great eateries, BNBs, bars and historically significant sites. Some must visit places include:
- Route 66 Vintage Iron Motorcycle Museum
- Blue Dome District located in Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Blue Swallow Motel, Tucumcari, NM
- Cadillac Ranch
- Campbell Hotel in Tulsa, OK
- Carl’s Drive-In in Brentwood, Missouri
- Chain of Rocks Bridge
- Cool Springs Camp
- Emma Jean’s Holland Burger in Victorville, CA
- Hotel Monte Vista Cocktail Lounge in Flagstaff, Arizona
- Joe and Aggies
- La Posada Hotel & Gardens, Winslow, Arizona
- Lou Mitchell’s in Chicago, IL
- Tia Sophia’s in Santa Fe, NM
- The Ariston Café in Litchfield, IL
- The Wigwam Motel in San Bernardino, CA
- Oklahoma Route 66 Museum
- Powerhouse Route 66 Museum
- Mr. D’z Route 66 Diner
- Route 66 Drive in Theatre
- Roy’s Café
- Santa Monica Pier
- The Green Mill Cocktail Lounge in Chicago
- Three Roses Bed and Breakfast, Pontiac, IL
- Tower Station and U-Drop Inn
If you just want to enjoy yourself, view all the scenic spots, booking motorcycle tours USA route 66 from World Motorbike Tours is the way to go. We provide accompanied motorbike touring holidays throughout Europe, America, Morocco and India. Let us guide you through the Route 66 journey to ensure you stay safe and get to visit all the important areas.